Moving to another location can be a chaotic experience or a smooth transition. It all depends on the amount of planning you commit to. People who have moved many times have a regular routine they follow and there are no surprises along the way. When plans are not properly made, the number of things that can go wrong increase.
The first thing to determine is if you are going to be able to move into another house immediately or if you are going to have to stay in a temporary lodging for a brief period. Of course, moving directly into a location is much easier than if there is a delay.
One of our strongest suggestions to ease your move is contact a reliable moving company and have them assist you in your relocation. They can relieve you of the stress of having to move heavy furniture, renting a moving truck, and staying organized with all the boxes.
Important steps to be done:
- Get rid of the junk in your house. There’s no simpler way to put it. Moving costs will lower if you have less to bring with you.
- Consider hiring professional packers. This is an added expense, but well worth the labor saved.
- Be sure to use proper packing boxes and not miscellaneous containers.
- Every box should be properly sealed and marked for its destination (kitchen, bedroom #1, #2, #3 and so forth). Special furniture should be marked for the intended room.
There are different things that need to be done if you are moving directly into the location or there will be a few weeks delay.
Delay in occupying the residence:
- Be sure you have arranged for a living space at the new location. Depending on the length of time, it may be less expensive to rent an apartment rather than stay in a hotel.
- Find out if the moving company has storage space to keep your belongings.
- Some people use a moving pod company. Their belongings are stored in a pod until its time to move into a new location. These companies have storage space and will store pods for a certain length of time.
- If a professional mover is used and there is no storage space available, you may have to rent a storage facility.
- Keep on hand, for immediate needs, such things as important papers, valuables, records, medicines, computers, and so forth.
Obviously, a box with no markings will have to be opened prior to putting it in the right place. That is why it is so important, even with others doing the packing, that each box be marked with the location and, if necessary, arrows showing “This side up”.
Regardless of what company you engage for your move, it is important to check them out. Be sure they are properly licensed and insured, that the papers signed show a delivery time, and they that have a good reputation. Having something important arrive broken is not a happy experience.